United States Delegation Memorandum 1
Pending Problems Before the Conference, Close of Business July 27, 1945
i. problems before the big three
1. Western Boundary of Poland.
2. Disposition of German Fleet and Merchant Marine. (Awaiting completion of U. S. and British papers outlining concrete proposals.)
3. Admission to the United Nations. (Referred to the Big Three by the Foreign Ministers on July 27.)
4. War Crimes. (This British agenda topic was referred to the Big Three by the Foreign Ministers on July 27.)[Page 448]
5. Cooperation in Solving Immediate European Economic Problems.
(The subcommittee report,2 which states that the Soviets will attend the EITO [ ECITO ] Conference, but are still studying the question of participation in EEC and ECO, was referred to the Big Three by the Foreign Ministers on July 27.)
6. Austrian and Italian Reparations.
(It will apparently be necessary to report to the Big Three that the Foreign Ministers have been unable to reach any agreement in regard to Austrian and Italian reparations.[)]
(If the U. S. suggestion is approved that the proposed paper on the Admission to the United Nations3 be dropped, the Soviet proposal for a tripartite statement on the Franco regime4 will still be pending before the Conference.[)]
ii. problems before the foreign ministers
1. German Reparations.
(To be considered at the next meeting of the Foreign Ministers who, if they are unable to reach an agreement at that meeting, will refer the question to the Big Three.)
2. German Economic Questions.
(Decision on the outstanding questions, paragraphs 18 and 19 in regard to the source of supply for zones of occupation in Germany and to the payment for essential imports, is dependent on the decision concerning German reparations.)
3. Rumanian Oil Equipment.
(The Soviets are circulating a paper,5 a reply to the British paper6 on this subject.)
4. German Political Questions.
(The British have presented a paper7 proposing that two additional points be added to the German political document already approved by the conference.)
iii. problems before subcommittees
1. Oil for Western Europe.
(The Economic Subcommittee is still considering the U. S. proposal8 on this subject.)
2. Implementation of the Yalta Declaration on Liberated Europe and Satellite States.
(The subcommittee report on this question has not yet been presented to the Foreign Ministers.)[Page 449]
3. Unrestricted Navigation of International Inland Waterways.
(The subcommittee report on this question has not yet been presented to the Foreign Ministers.)
4. Transfer of German Populations from Poland and Czechoslovakia.
(The subcommittee has not yet submitted its report on this topic.)
5. Directive to Military Commanders in Germany on Agreements Reached at the Conference.
(It is impossible for this subcommittee to complete its work until the German economic questions have been resolved.)
6. Protocol and Communiqué of the Conference.
(Subcommittees are engaged in preparation of these documents.)
- Authorship not indicated.↩
- Document No. 1162, post.↩
- Document No. 730, post.↩
- Document No. 1177, post.↩
- Document No. 843, post.↩
- Document No. 841, post.↩
- Document No. 879, post.↩
- Document No. 1320, post.↩