Department of the Army Files: Telegram
The Director of the Division of
Ship Requirements, War Shipping
Administration (Bissell) to the War
Babelsberg, 22 July 1945.
Victory 205. To Conway Millikan Winterbottom WSA from Bissell.
- Leathers has definitely agreed to use of T–2 tankers for grain in U. K. import program and has cabled instructions to MWT London.
- We have agreed that tankers should be withdrawn from grain trade if combined dry cargo shipping position eases to such an extent that use of tankers would cause dry cargo ships to be laid up.
- Believe British could if necessary accept in U. K. all thirteen tankers available for August loading but have told them we would use some of the tankers in national programs to Continent if feasible.
- British believe London pool position will continue to be easy in September and October and that they will be able to help meet Wash pool deficits in those months.
- Repeated to Monroe London.