Draft of Report by the Economic
Draft Report of the Economic Sub-Committee
We have considered the proposals in a memorandum by the United States Delegation on the Economic Principles to govern the treatment of Germany in the initial control period,2 together with the Annex dealing with reparations.3[Page 790]
We have unanimously agreed to recommend the adoption of the Economic Principles set out in Appendix A, subject to the reservation in paragraphs A and B below.
We have also agreed on the contents of the Annex on reparations, subject to the points of disagreement recorded in paragraphs C to [blank] below. The text is given in Appendix B,4 points in dispute being sidelined.5
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
- Uniform method of treatment of the German civilian population.
- Movement of German population between the zones for the purpose of achieving the objectives laid down in paragraph 13.
- Subject to normal regulations, free circulation of British, U. S., Soviet and French nationals in all zones by land and air.
The Sub-Committee considered that these points, while having economic significance, had a wide political application. They therefore recommend that the Foreign Secretaries should consider them for inclusion in the Political Principles.
The U. K. and U. S. representatives consider that it is essential that such necessary imports into Germany as are approved by the Governments controlling Germany shall constitute a first charge against exports from Germany of current production and stocks of goods. The Russian representatives do not accept this principle and express the view that reparation deliveries should have priority and that imports into Germany should, if necessary, be confined to the amount that can be paid for by exports from Germany.[Page 791]
- The text here printed includes a number of minor manuscript revisions.↩
- document No. 852.↩
- document No. 894.↩
- No paper identifiable as appendix B has been found.↩
- For the paragraph omitted at this point, see document No. 1041.↩
- Immediately before paragraph B the following paragraph has been stricken on the source copy: “B. In submitting their report on the Economic Principles to govern the treatment of Germany in the initial control period, the Economic Sub-Committee wish to draw attention to the following point.”↩
- The numbering of the paragraphs in this draft report corresponds to the revised numbering in the paper tentatively identified as appendix A thereto, infra. ↩
- On this document, which bears the manuscript notation “Sub-Committee”, manuscript changes (not printed) have been made to bring the text into conformity with the attachment to document No. 863, and it has been further marked, “As finally approved”, presumably by the Economic Subcommittee. It is obviously an intermediate draft of the Economic Principles, designed to show changes made in an earlier draft (cf. document No. 858). From the numbering of the paragraphs it would appear to be appendix A to the Draft Report printed above, but it is not attached to the Draft Report in the Pauley Files (although it is filed in the same folder) and it has not been possible to confirm this tentative identification.↩
- No annex was attached to the copy found. See document No. 894.↩