Proposal by the Soviet
[Babelsberg,] July 30, 1945.
Regarding Reparations From Italy and Austria Soviet Proposal
- Italy and Austria must pay reparations in compensation of those losses which they caused the United Nations by their participation in the war on the side of Germany.
- Reparations shall be paid in the form of immediate removals of equipment from those branches of their economy which are the most important elements of their military potential. Such removals should be concluded during a period of one year.
- … The Allied Reparations Commission shall define the amount of reparations from Austria.
- … Austria [shall pay reparations] to the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia.
- Attachment 15 to the summary of the Tenth Meeting of the Foreign Ministers, July 30. See ante, pp. 484, 499. Molotov had given Byrnes a copy of this proposal at a private meeting immediately preceding the Tenth Meeting of the Foreign Ministers. See ante, p. 482. For the full text, see document No. 1104.↩