The Chairman of the President’s
War Relief Control
) to the President
My Dear Mr. President: Here is the memorandum on the Straits problem which is on the Agenda for tomorrow. The resume and conclusion give you the picture and the last three pages1 give the various dates.
I think you will find it interesting reading; it illumines the constant conflict of interest between the British and the Russians and other European powers for control of the Dardanelles.
Britain and Russia have been on both sides of the question at different times.
The facts herein are amply sustained by authority.
With great respect [etc.]
- Beginning with the heading, “Memorandum as to the Dardanelles and the Straits”, post, p. 1431.↩
- General of Division Horace-François-Bastien Sébastiani.↩
- Text in British and Foreign State Papers, vol. xiii, p. 908.↩
- Text printed ibid., p. 899.↩
- Under the Treaty of Unkiar Eskelessi. Text of the pertinent provisions in Howard, The Problem of the Turkish Straits, p. 16.↩
- Under the Convention of London, signed July 15, 1840; text of the pertinent provisions printed ibid., p. 16. Cf. the pertinent provisions of the Convention pf London of July 13, 1841, printed ibid., p. 17.↩
- Text of the provisions concerning the Black Sea and the Straits in Howard, The Problem of the Turkish Straits, pp. 17, 18.↩
- See ibid., p. 18.↩
- The so-called Reinsurance Treaty, signed at Berlin, June 18, 1887. Text in Heinrich Triepel, ed., Nouveau recueil général de traités et autres actes relatifs aux rapports de droit international, 3d series (Leipzig and Greifswald, 1908–1944), vol. x, p. 37.↩
- See Foreign Relations, 1917, supp. 2, vol. i, pp. 494–497. Cf. E. L. Woodward and Rohan Butler, eds., Documents on British Foreign Policy, 1919–1939 (London, 1946– ), 1st series, vol. iv, pp. 635–638; J. C. Hurewitz, Diplomacy in the Near and Middle East: A Documentary Record (Princeton, 1956), vol. ii, pp. 7–11.↩
- Text of the substantive provisions in Howard, The Problem of the Turkish Straits, p. 21; full text in League of Nations Treaty Series, vol. xxviii, p. 115.↩
- Text of the substantive provisions of the Montreux Convention in Howard, The Problem of the Turkish Straits, p. 25; full text in League of Nations Treaty Series, vol. clxxiii, p. 213.↩
- For a more detailed memorandum by Davies on the same subject, see vol. i, document No. 697.↩