Proposal by the Soviet
On Ruhr Industrial District
Considering the Ruhr Industrial District as a part of Germany and having in view the necessity of all kind curtailment of Germany’s war potential the Conference has deemed expedient:
- To determine that the Ruhr Industrial District shall be in respect of administration under the joint control of U. S. A., U. K., U. S. S. R. and France.
- The administration of the Ruhr Industrial District shall be exercised by the Allied Council composed of representatives of U. K., U. S. A., U. S. S. R. and France.
- The Industry of the Ruhr District will be utilized for reparation purposes in conformity with the common reparation plan.
- To establish immediately, in view of prompt accomplishment of this decision, provisional Allied Council composed of representatives of U. S. A., U. K., U. S. S. R. and France, which in a months term will carry out necessary preparatory work and will assume the provisional Administration of the Ruhr District.
- Attachment 16 to the summary of the Tenth Meeting of the Foreign Ministers, July 30. See ante, pp. 496, 499. Molotov had given Byrnes a copy of this proposal at a private meeting immediately preceding the Tenth Meeting of the Foreign Ministers. See ante, p. 482. Another copy of this proposal bears the following manuscript notation: “Sov. to present to Council For. Min? but not included in protocol”. Cf. ante, p. 596.↩