Proposal by the Soviet
The German Navy and Merchant Marine
Soviet Proposal Presented to Foreign Ministers July 19, 19451
- One third of the total German navy including the ships which at the beginning of unconditional surrender of Germany were under construction or in repair shall be handed over to the Soviet Union.
- One third of reserve armaments, ammunition and supplies of the German navy in accordance with the classes of ships shall be handed over to the Soviet Union.
- One third of the German merchant marine shall be handed over to the Soviet Union.
- The transfer and receipt of the ships of the German navy and merchant marine shall begin August 1 and shall be completed by November 1, 1945.
- There shall be established an expert commission the strength of which shall be determined by the Naval Commands of the three Allied countries to transfer and take the ships of the German navy and merchant marine located in the ports and bases of the Allied Commands as well as in the ports and bases in Germany and other countries.