182. Memorandum from Gould to the Assistant to the Secretary of Defense (Atomic Energy), April 191
- (U) Report of the Foreign Weapons Evaluation Group
1. Attached is copy number 32 of the 15 February 1963 Report of the Foreign Weapons Evaluation Group, also referred to as the Bethe Panel Report. Initial instructions on the handling of this type of report were issued by the White House in National Security Action Memorandum No. 193, dated 3 October 1962. This memorandum is attached and should remain an integral part of the Bethe Panel Report. Attached also is a copy of Memorandum for All Holders of the Foreign Weapons Evaluation Group Report of 14 and 15 February, dated 8 March 1963.
2. The sensitivity of the data contained herein is emphasized. Previous instructions pertaining to the handling of Bethe Panel Reports apply. Accordingly, it is requested that a record be maintained of all persons having access to the report, or the information therein, and that access be on a strict need-to-know basis.
FOR THE DIRECTOR:
Acting Assistant Director for Processing
- Report of the Foreign Weapons Evaluation Group. Two attachments provide a copy of the February 15 report and an amendment to the report, dated March 8. Top Secret. 11 pp. Washington National Records Center, RG 330, OSD/OATSD (AE) Files: FRC 69 A 2243, 99 USP, USSR Weapons Evaluation (Bethe).↩