163. Telegram 159 to Tegucigalpa, October 261
SUBJ: Contacts with Lopez. REF: Embtels 250 and 252.
1. For your guidance, our objective in Honduras remains: early establishment of civilian constitutional government in which a reasonably broad spectrum of Honduran political forces can participate and which, therefore, may be considered generally acceptable to the populace as a whole. (Par. 1 of Deptel 115 to San Salvador).
2. Agree we should now rpt now solicit Honduran proposals in Honduras to accomplish this. In your contacts with Lopez regime (follow Deptel 152) you should engage in any amount of dialogue you think necessary to accomplish our objective.
3. You may find opportunity to exploit professed Duron position (Embtel 250) and New York Times article datelined Tegucigalpa Oct 24 in which Paul Kennedy quotes Lopez as saying only ambition is military career. FYI [Facsimile Page 2] Kennedy also reported Lopez said (a) time needed to reform electoral law depends on electoral census and cannot be estimated; (b) Lopez will be chief of state until constitutional government restored. END FYI
4. Heartily concur with your effort maintain broad contact with Lopez regime, ascertain Lopez views over weekend.
- Contacts with Lopez. Confidential. 2 pp. DOS, CF, POL 15 HOND.↩