List of Sources
Department of State
Decimal Central Files. Through January 1963 the Department of State continued to use the decimal central files system. All the following Central File records are part of Record Group 59 and are located in National Archives and Records Administration II in College Park, Maryland.
- 152: special missions to Central and South America
- 601.6111: diplomatic representation between the United States and Soviet Union
- 611.12: U.S. relations with Mexico
- 611.1231: U.S. boundaries with Mexico
- 611.12322: U.S.-Mexico, diversion of international waters
- 611.12323: U.S.-Mexico, international waterways
- 611.14: U.S. relations with Guatemala
- 611.16: U.S. relations with El Salvador
- 611.18: U.S. relations with Costa Rica
- 611.21: U.S. relations with Colombia
- 611.24: U.S. relations with Bolivia
- 611.25: U.S. relations with Chile
- 611.31: U.S. relations with Venezuela
- 611.37: U.S. relations with Cuba
- 611.3722: U.S. blockade of Cuba
- 611.61: U.S.-Soviet Union political relations
- 712.00: political affairs and conditions in Mexico
- 712.5621: sale of naval vessels to Mexico
- 714.00: political affairs and conditions in Guatemala
- 714.5622: sale of aircraft to Guatemala
- 715.00: political affairs and conditions in Honduras
- 715.04: Honduras’ flag
- 715.11: chief executive of Honduras
- 715.5: Honduras’ defense affairs
- 716.0: political affairs and conditions in El Salvador
- 716.02: recognition of the Government of El Salvador
- 718.00: political affairs and conditions in Costa Rica
- 721.11: chief executive of Columbia
- 721.5–MSP: U.S. military assistance to Columbia
- 722.00: political affairs and conditions in Ecuador
- 722.5–MSP: U.S. military assistance to Ecuador
- 722.58: visits of Ecuador military
- 724.00: political affairs and conditions in Bolivia
- 725.00: political affairs and conditions in Chile
- 725.5–MSP: U.S. military assistance to Chile
- 731.00: political affairs and conditions in Venezuela
- 737.00: political affairs and conditions in Cuba
- 737.5211: U.S. intelligence activities in Cuba
- 737.56311: U.S. bases in Cuba
- 737.56361: Soviet bases in Cuba
- 760.551: Eastern European military personnel
- 761.00: political conditions in the Soviet Union
- 782.56311: U.S. bases in Turkey
- 811.10: U.S. economic relations with the Western Hemisphere
- 815.16: land ownership in Honduras
- 816.10: El Salvador financial matters
- 818.00: economic conditions in Costa Rica
- 818.10: financial matters in Costa Rica
- 818.13: Costa Rica’s monetary system
- 818.18: Costa Rican immigration and emigration
- 818.235: Costa Rican sugar
- 822.10: economic conditions in Ecuador
Central Files: In February 1963 the Department of State changed its decimal central files to a subject-numeric central file system. The following Central Files are located in Record Group 59 at National Archives and Records Administration II, College Park, Maryland.
- AID (US) BOLIVIA: U.S. economic assistance to Bolivia
- POL COL: general political affairs in Colombia
- POL COSTA RICA-CUBA: general Costa Rican-Cuban relations
- POL CUBA: general policy towards Cuba
- POL CUBA-USSR: Soviet Union-Cuba relations
- POL EL SAL: general political affairs in El Salvador
- POL GUAT: general political affairs in Guatemala
- POL GUAT-US: general U.S.–Guatemalan relations
- POL 2 GUAT: general reports on Guatemala
- POL 12 CHILE: political parties in Chile
- POL 14 CHILE: elections in Chile
- POL 15 GUAT: Government of Guatemala
- POL 15 HOND: Government of Honduras
- POL 15–1 COSTA RICA: head of state of Costa Rica
- POL 15–1 US/KENNEDY: documentation relating to President Kennedy
- POL 17 COL: U.S. diplomatic and consular representation with Colombia
- POL 23 COL: internal security in Colombia
- POL 26 HOND: coups in Honduras
- POL 27 CUBA–US: military operations between the United States and the Soviet Union
- POL 30–2 CUBA: Cuban exile political activities
- POL 32–1 MEX–US: Mexican territorial disputes with the United States
- POL 33–1 MEX–US: Mexican–U.S. rivers
- POL 36 CUBA: travel control to and from Cuba
Lot Files: These are the special decentralized files of the policymaking level of the Department of State, including the Executive Secretariat, overseas Foreign Service posts, and U.S. special missions. The following Lot Files are located in Record Group 59 at National Archives and Records Administration II, College Park, Maryland.
ARA Files: Lot 62 D 24
- Files of the Special Assistant, Bureau of Inter-American Affairs for 1961.
ARA/CCA Files: Lot 63 D 402
- Files of the Officer in Charge of Cuban Affairs for 1961.
ARA/CCA Files: Lot 65 D 256
- Files of the Officer in Charge of Cuban Affairs for 1962.
ARA/CCA Files: Lot 66 D 501
- Files of the Coordinator of Cuban Affairs for 1964 including top secret material from 1961–1963.
Ball Papers: Lot 74 D 272
- Files of Under Secretary of State George Ball, 1961–1966, including transcripts of his telephone conversations.
INR/IL Historical Files
- Files of the Office of Intelligence Coordination, containing records from the 1940s through the 1980s, maintained by the Office of Intelligence Liaison, Bureau of Intelligence and Research
INR/SEE Files: Lot 90 D 321
- Latin American files of the Office of Soviet and East European Analysis, Bureau of Intelligence and Research, for the years 1960–1985.
- Presidential Correspondence: Lot 66 D 204
- Exchanges of correspondence between the President and heads of foreign governments, as well as certain correspondence of the Secretary of State, for 1953–1964 as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
- Presidential Correspondence: Lot 77 D 163
- Exchanges of correspondence between the President with the leaders of the Soviet Union, 1961–1964, the so-called “Pen Pal” correspondence. Also contains drafts of messages and memoranda to the President and Secretary of State about the correspondence.
- President’s Memoranda of Conversation: Lot 66 D 149
- A chronological record of cleared memoranda of conversations with foreign visitors for 1956–1964 as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
Files: Lot 72 D 192
- Files of Secretary of State Dean Rusk , 1961–1969, including texts of speeches and public statements, miscellaneous correspondence files, White House correspondence, chronological files, and memoranda of telephone conversations.
- Secretary’s Memoranda of Conversation: Lot 65 D 330
- Memoranda of the Secretary’s and Under Secretary’s conversations for 1961–1964 as maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
- Secretary’s Staff Meetings: Lot 66 D 147
- Records of the Secretary of State’s staff meetings, 1961–1963, and additional ad hoc meetings, reports, papers, and memoranda of Chester Bowles’ telephone conversations.
Files: Lot 62 D 1
- Serial and subject master file of National Security Council documents and correspondence for the years 1945–1961, maintained by the Policy Planning Staff.
S/S Files: Lot 65 D 438
- Principal Department of State lot file on the Cuban missile crisis, October 1962–January 1963, as maintained by the Executive Secretariat. Also contains background material from 1961 and 1962, including documentation on Operation Mongoose.
S/S Files: Lot 70 D 265
- National Security Council meetings, policy papers, position papers, and administrative documents for the years 1961–1965, maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
Files: Lot 72 D 316
- Department of State copies of National Security Action Memorandum (NSAM’s) and related materials.
(Miscellaneous) Files: Lot 66 D 95
- Administrative and miscellaneous National Security Council files, including NSC Records of Action, for the years 1947–1963, maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
- State/JCS Meetings: Lot 70 D 328
- Records of meetings between representatives of the Department of State and the members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for the years 1959–1963, maintained by the Executive Secretariat.
- U. Alexis Johnson Files: Lot 90 D
- Official and personal files covering the years 1958–1973. Includes files dealing with Johnson’s tenure as Deputy Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, 1961–1966.
- U.S. Mission to the United Nations Files
- NYFRC 84–84–001/002, Secret and Top Secret records of the U.S. Mission to the United Nations with extensive material on the post-missile crisis negotiations.
Central Intelligence Agency
- Cuban Files, Job 80–D0167R
DCI Files: Job 54–00499R
- Files of the History Staff.
DCI Files: Job 85–00664R
- Files of the History Staff, an extensive collection dealing with the Bay of Pigs invasion.
DCI Files: Job 91–00741R
- Files of the Office of the Director of Central Intelligence.
DCI (Dulles) Files: Job 80–B0176R
- Files of Allen W. Dulles as Director of Central Intelligence, 1953–1961.
DCI (McCone) Files: Job 80–B1285A
- Files of John C. McCone as Director of Central Intelligence, 1961–1965.
- DDI Files: Job 79–R1012A
- The Deputy Directorate for Intelligence’s registry of National Intelligence and Special Intelligence estimates.
- DDI Files: Job 80–R01386R
- Files of the Office of the Deputy Director for Intelligence.
- DDI Files: Job 89–T01385R
- Files of the Office of the Deputy Director for Intelligence.
- DDO/DDP Files: Job 64–00352R
- Files of the Office of the Deputy Director for Plans covering 1960.
- DDO/DDP Files: Job 67–01083R
- Chronological files of C. Tracy Barnes, 1959–1964.
- DDO/DDP Files: Job 78–01450R
- Files of the Office of the Deputy Director for Plans covering 1961.
- DDO/LA/COG Files: Job 52–00679R
- Files of the Covert Collection Staff of the Western Hemisphere Division, including materials prepared for the Taylor Committee and records of Special Group meetings relating to Cuba.
- DDO/WH Files: Job 73–00853R
- Files dealing with liaison between the Western Hemisphere Division and the Department of State, 1955–1966.
- HS/HC Files: Job 84–00499R
- Central Intelligence Agency History Staff’s source collection.
- ODDI Registry NIEs and SNIEs: Job 79–R01012A
- Copies of National Intelligence Estimates and Special National Intelligence Estimate.
- O/D/NFAC Files: Job 80–R1386R
- Files of the Deputy Directorate for Intelligence.
Department of Defense
- Office of the Historian, Historian’s Office, Secretary of
Defense’s Cable Files
- Telegrams to and from the Secretary of Defense as maintained by the Office of the Historian, Department of Defense.
- Office of the Historian, Historian’s Office, Secretary of Defense’s Cable Files
Dwight D. Eisenhower Library, Abilene, Kansas
- Herter Papers
- Records of Christian A. Herter for 1957–1961.
- Project Clean Up Records
- Project Clean Up collection. Records of Gordon Gray, Robert Cutler, H. Romer McPhee, and Andrew J. Goodpaster.
- White House Office Files
- Several White House office collections, including files of the Office of the Staff Secretary, and Project Clean Up, and files of the Office of the Special Assistant for National Security Affairs.
- Whitman File
- Papers of Dwight D. Eisenhower as President of the United States, 1953–1961, maintained by his personal secretary, Ann Whitman. The Whitman File includes the following elements: Name series, Dulles–Herter series, Eisenhower Diaries, Ann Whitman (ACW Diaries), National Security Council Records, Miscellaneous Records, Cabinet Papers, Legislative Meetings, International Meetings, Administrative Series, and International File.
- Herter Papers
Lyndon B. Johnson Library, Austin, Texas
- National Security File, Country File, Cuba
- Rusk Appointment Books
- Vice Presidential Security File
John F. Kennedy Library, Boston, Massachusetts
- National Security Files:
- Brubeck Series
- Chester V. Clifton Series
- Countries Series: Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Venezuela, USSR
- Meetings and Memoranda Series: National Security Council Meetings, Executive Committee Meetings, Standing Group Meetings, National Security Action Memoranda
- Regional Series
- President’s Appointment Books
- President’s Office Files: Countries
- Presidential Recordings
- Staff Memoranda
- Papers of George Ball
- Papers of Roger Hilsman
- Papers of Robert F. Kennedy
- Papers of Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.
- Papers of Theodore Sorensen
- National Security Files:
National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington,
- Papers of General Lyman L. Lemnitzer, Chief of Staff of the Army, 1959–1960; Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 1961–1962.
- Taylor Papers
- Papers of General Maxwell D. Taylor, Chief of Staff of the Army, 1955–1959; Military Advisor to the President 1961–1962; Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 1962–1964.
- Lemnitzer Papers
United States Mission to the United Nations, New
USUN Files: NYFRC 84–84–002
- Files of the U.S. Mission to the United Nations, 1950 to date.
- USUN Files: NYFRC 84–84–002
- National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.
Record Group 59, Records of the Department of State
S/P Files: Lot 67 D 548
- Records of the Policy Planning Staff for 1957–1961.
S/S Files: Lot 67 D 396
- Master file of Guidelines for Policy and Operations prepared by S/P from November 1961 to May 1966.
- Task Force on Latin American Files: Lot 61 D 298 [Typeset Page 10]
[Facsimile Page 20]
- Minutes of the Task Force on Latin America for 1961.
- S/P Files: Lot 67 D 548
- Record Group 323, JFK Collection
- Washington National Records Center, Suitland, Maryland
Record Group 330, Records of the Office of the Secretary
McNamara Files: FRC 71 A 3470
- Files of Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, 1961–1968.
OASD (C) A Files: FRC 71 A 2896
- Principal file on the Cuban missile crisis as maintained by the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Administration. Includes files of the Secretary of Defense, the Deputy Secretary of Defense, and the Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs. Contains some background documents from the pre-crisis period.
OASD/ISA Files: FRC 64 A
- General and country files of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs for 1961.
OASD/ISA Files: FRC 69 A
- General and country files of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs for 1962.
OSD Files: FRC 65 A 3464
- Files of the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Defense and their Special Assistants for 1961.
OSD Files: FRC 66 A 3542
- Files of the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Defense and their Special Assistants for 1962.
OSD Files: FRC 77–0131
- Office of the Secretary of Defense, Foreign Policy Files, 1962–1972
- McNamara Files: FRC 71 A 3470
Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
- Allen Dulles Papers
- Stevenson Papers
Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
- Bowles Papers
Naval Historical Center, Washington, D.C.
- Area Files
- Bumpy Road Materials: Papers of Admiral Arleigh Burke, Chief of Naval Operations, 1955–1961.
- Area Files