October 23, 1962
367. Circular telegram 726, October 23
Instructions to meet with highest available official to persuade government to which accredited to take actions to prevent Soviet Bloc military equipment from reaching Cuba. Secret. 4 pp. DOS, CF, 737.00/10–2362.
368. Memorandum for the record, October 23
Daily White House staff meeting, Bundy presiding re handling of crisis actions. Secret. 2 pp. NDU, Taylor Papers, Chairman’s Staff Group, Oct.–Nov. 1962.
369. Notes from transcripts of JSC meetings, October 23
Low-level reconnaissance; U.S. reaction to possible U–2 shootdown; blockade of Cuba. Secret. 3 pp. DOD, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Office of Joint History.
370. Memorandum of meeting of the Executive Committee of the National Security Council, October 23
Intelligence report, blockage, possible military actions, firing on a U–2, air intercept capability, and low-level flights. Top Secret. 3 pp. CIA, DCI (McCone) Files: Job 80–B01265A, DCI Meetings with the President, 1 July 1962–31 December 1962.
371. Memorandum for the file, October 23
Meetings with Senators Russell, Hickenlooper, and Chairman Vinson to notify them of administration policy and get their positions. Top Secret. 2 pp. CIA, DCI (McCone) Files: Job 80–B01265A, DCI Memos for the Record, 24 Sept–31 Dec 1962.
372. Memorandum from Acting Director of the Office of National Estimates Smith to McCone, October 23
Effect on Cuba of a Blockade covering all goods except food and medicines. Top Secret. 3 pp. Kennedy Library, National Security Files, Countries Series, Cuba, Subjects, Intelligence Materials, 10/1/62–11/12/62.
373. List of issues raised at Rostow group meeting, October 23
Strategic guidelines, missile trade-off, offensive nature of missiles in Cuba, Soviet personnel in Cuba, inspection issue, initiative thinking, Cuban objectives, Tobin-Greenfeld paper, systematic review of possible contingencies. Top Secret. 4 pp. WNRC, RG 330, OASD (C) Files: FRC 71 A 2896, Nitze Files: Black Book, Cuba, Vol. II.
374. Memorandum from Katzenbach to Attorney General Kennedy, October 23
Proclamation re Cuba. No classification marking. 1 p. WNRC, RG 330, OASD (C) A Files: FRC 71 A 2896, Misc. Papers Regarding Cuba, 20 Oct.–25 Oct. 1962.
375. NSC Executive Committee Debriefing, October 23
Blockade of Cuba. Top Secret. 2 pp. DOS, S/S–NSC Files: Lot 75 D 165, NSC Debriefings 1962.