307. Notes of the Special Group (Augmented) meeting, September 271
(As Told by the DDCI to Knoche)
1. The MONGOOSE balloon delivery capability plan was approved in concept but the Group is to be provided with an outline operational plan which is to be based on using refugees to the maximum extent possible. Reasoning for the use of refugees is:
a) To keep them busy on projects like this, which are less dangerous than projects in which they might otherwise engage, and
b) To provide the US with increased capacity for plausible denial.
Alexis Johnson wondered whether there was any way we can make our overall approach to the Cuban problem something which would show less of the US hand and which would be built more around the refugees.
2. General Taylor read from a paper on Cuba, prepared by Rostow and which has gone forward to the President. DDCI wants us to get a copy of this paper. There was a discussion indicating that Defense, State, and CINCLANT are preparing some kind of presentation re Cuba for the President. DDCI wants us to find out about this and participate if advisable.
3. The DDCI did not brief the Group on the mining sabotage operation, but will do so when we get to the point of trying the operation again.
- Mongoose balloon plan; Rostow paper on Cuba. Secret. 1 p. CIA Files: Job 91–00741R, Box 1, Mongoose Papers.↩