291. Telegram 72756 from McCone, September 41
- TO [less than 1 line not declassified] Priority. Eyes Only [less than 1 line not declassified] from [less than 1 line not declassified].
1. Cuban readout confirms eight and probably nine SAM rpt SAM sites under crash construction. Eight of nine sites noted will blanket entire western half of island. Ninth is on east coast and we expect others will be built to cover entire country. Construction proceeding so quickly we look for some to be operational within next week or ten days. Readout also showed eight torpedo boats with dual, radar-guided, missile launchers. Such missiles have estimated range of about 15 miles for a 2,000-pound hi-explosive payload with good accuracy. Presume you know of weekend communiqué in which Moscow claims right to extend military assistance to Cuba while danger of invasion persists. All this creates new atmosphere. Principals meeting with President today to discuss whither now, and with Hill leadership at White House this afternoon.[Facsimile Page 2]
2. Donovan is back from Havana with new price list from Fidel. Latter will settle for three million cash and 25 million in food and medicine. Donovan to confer with Hurwitz and Atty Gen before returning to Havana later this week. Word we have is that Fidel wants to complete all arrangements quickest, within ten days. Outlook is for agency to be asked to help out. We will insure clearance on the Hill prior to any involvement.
- Soviet military assistance to Cuba confirmed. Top Secret. 2 pp. CIA, DCI (McCone) Files: Job 80–B01285A, Box 4, DCI–DDCI Cables—Cuba, 4 Sept–21 Sept 1962.↩