763.72119/5427a: Telegram

The Acting Secretary of State to the Commission to Negotiate Peace

2404. For Secretary Lansing.

I should be very grateful if you could advise me what steps should be taken after the signature of Peace towards the resumption of official relations with enemy countries. Shall the Department await confirmation of the Treaty by the Senate before sending in Consular representatives? If other Allied nations confirm the Treaty without delay and send in their Consuls, must we await final action by the Senate even though there may be considerable delay? Are you contemplating a resumption of commercial relations at an early date with the idea that the resumption of Diplomatic relations shall await the ratification of the Treaty? If Consuls are to be sent before ratification of Treaty by the Senate, do you feel that there is objection to returning those formerly in enemy countries?