Prince Wan–Robertson–Bonsal Meeting, Geneva, June 10, 10:30 a.m.: Memorandum of Conversation, by the Adviser to the United States Delegation (Bonsal)1
- Prince Wan, Leader of Thailand Delegation
- Walter S. Robertson
- Philip W. Bonsal
- Status of Thai application to UN;
- Plans for Korean Conference.
Mr. Robertson called on Prince Wan at 10:30 a.m. in order to discuss the status of the Thai application to the UN and particularly the date of the next Security Council meeting and the wording of the resolution to be presented. Mr. Robertson described to Prince Wan our recent talks with Chauvel and with Eden (see Sectos 398 and 4102).
Prince Wan expressed agreement that the meeting of the Security Council should not be delayed beyond Monday or Tuesday (June 15 or 16) and that the wording of the resolution should not be such as to preclude the proposed Peace Observation Commission from entering countries other than Thailand should this prove desirable at a later date and should the countries in question, (particularly Laos and Cambodia) extend an invitation to the Commission. Prince Wan was also in full agreement that Laos and Cambodia should, for the present, take no action with regard to or even notice of the Thai application to the UN. This would not, however, preclude Laos from following the example of Cambodia in placing before the UN the facts regarding the invasion of which Laos is currently the victim.
With reference to Korea, Mr. Robertson urged Prince Wan to make a statement at tomorrow’s plenary. Although Prince Wan had been planning to make his statement at the next plenary after the one on June 11th, he agreed to take Mr. Robertson’s suggestion. Prince Wan expressed agreement with Mr. Robertson regarding the importance of terminating the Korean phase of the conference without delay and of making clear that the termination results from an inability to agree on the UN issue and on the issue of truly free elections.
- The U.S. Delegation informed the Department of this discussion in telegram Secto 417, June 10, indicating that Prince Wan “fully agrees on desirability early Security Council meeting (not later than June 15 or 16) as well as view that wording of resolution should not preclude proposed POC from entering countries other than Thailand.” (396.1 GE/6–1054)↩
- Telegram Secto 398, dated June 8, p. 1065; telegram Secto 410, dated June 9, p. 1105.↩