810.20 Defense/3–845: Telegram
The Acting Secretary of State to the Ambassador in Colombia (Wiley)
280. ReEmbs. 347, March 8, 8 p.m.; 349, March 8, 10 p.m.14 General Brett is being asked to expedite delivery to you of copies of the program for staff conversations. In your discretion, if it appears necessary, you may communicate informally to Colombian authorities before receipt of program following main topics which will be included.
- Reexamination of existing military arrangements and establishment on a permanent basis of military relations of the United States and Colombia.
- For the ground, air, and naval forces of Colombia:
- Consideration of the mission of each branch and the approximate size and composition of the forces desired.
- Possibility of training Colombian armed forces on United States principles, including extension of training facilities in United States and use by Colombia of United States military, naval and air missions.
For further detail regarding the background of these conversations please refer to Department’s secret circular instruction of August 1, 194415 and January 10, 194517 (File Nos. 810.20 Defense) and Basic Instructions Regarding Staff Conversations transmitted informally to the officer in charge October, 1944.16