72. Telegram From [location not declassified] to the Central Intelligence Agency1
0372. Ref: Dir 24302 (Out 71507).2
1. Lumumba fate is best kept secret in Katanga. In addition [Embassy] démarche to Munongo to request humane treatment for Lumumba has caused GOK make every effort deny firm data to ODYOKE.
2. In above context following is review of reports received by [less than 1 line not declassified] since 17 Jan:
A. [Identity 1] from Dr. De Coster (pediatrician from Stanleyville, now living in Eville, who got data from unknown doctor who claims verified death). Lumumba, Mpolo and Okito executed just off road from Eville to Jadotville on 17 Jan.[Page 99]
B. Doctor Lauveau, Belgian physician with good local contacts, stated on 19 Jan that Lumumba if not already executed was about to be. Mentioned GOK ministers had each been allowed beat Lumumba first. ([less than 1 line not declassified]).3
C. On 1 Feb Commandant Roger Van der Stock, G–2 Sud Kasai army, stated categorically that Lumumba dead but refused reveal source. Said knows man who executed him.
D. On 2 Feb Dutch local dentist Van Baalen, whose wife is secretary in Tshombe office, stated Lumumba definitely dead, killed by man whose whole family were killed in July by Lumumbists.
E. On 19 Jan British Honorary Consul Georges Cailleau stated believes Lumumba dead because those Belgians originally assigned take care of him had relaxed as if job done. [less than 1 line not declassified]
3. Sole recent negative report is that of [less than 1 line not declassified]4 which could well be [cryptonym not declassified] plant as [cryptonym not declassified] met [name not declassified] while dining with [Identity 2]. See also [less than 1 line not declassified]5 which perhaps also plant.
4. Have avoided direct questioning [cryptonym not declassified] or [Identity 3] view delicacy subject and probability they under orders hide or distort truth. [less than 1 line not declassified] so far has all been one way in favor KUBARK and believe it best avoid forcing them this early in game on most delicate local question, as they might feel forces cut off [less than 1 line not declassified] altogether.
5. Realize importance this question and am still making major effort.
End of message.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency Files, [text not declassified], Folder 3. Secret; Routine. Received at 0328Z. Repeated to Leopoldville.↩
- Hqs. requested any information which might confirm or deny the reports of Lumumba’s death. [Footnote in the original.] This CIA telegram has not been found.↩
- Dr. Jean Louveaux remarked that Lumumba would certainly be killed by the GOK, if not done already. Louveaux also stated that each GOK Minister had already been permitted to personally beat Lumumba in conformity with ancient tradition. [Footnote in the original.] This CIA telegram has not been found.↩
- [text not declassified] a Turkish refugee from Luluabourg, swore that he had talked to Lumumba on 5 February 1961. [Footnote in the original.] This telegram is printed as Document 70.↩
- Reported that as of 27 January 1961, Patrice Lumumba was still alive. [Footnote in the original.] This CIA telegram has not been found.↩