396.1 GE/7–1754: Telegram
The Secretary of State to the United States Delegation 1
Tosec 562. 1. Final report US-UK study group on SEA defense being cabled.2 Rob Scott requests you make copies available Eden to which we fully agree.
2. Scott asking UK govt to concentrate on two immediate questions:
- US position that working group of representatives US, UK, France, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, Thailand should be formed immediately to prepare recommendations on terms of collective security treaty.
- US position that declaration of intent should be issued quickly whether or not there is a settlement at Geneva.
3. We hope Eden will not continue emphasize efforts toward persuading Colombo Powers at expense moving ahead rapidly on collective defense arrangement.
4. We will, of course, continue our consultations with Australia, New Zealand, Philippines and Thailand.
5. FYI study group agree copies report should not be given other countries but there was informal understanding Australia, New Zealand and Canada could receive copies, which is being followed up here.
- Drafted by Galloway of C.↩
- Infra . For background information on the establishment of the Joint U.S.-U.K. Study Group on Southeast Asia, see volume xiii .↩