396.1 GE/6–1854: Telegram
Fifteenth Restricted Session on Indochina, Geneva, June 18, 3 p.m.: The United States Delegation to the Department of State
Secto 471. Repeated information Paris 458, London 303, Saigon 179, Tokyo 14, Moscow 134, Phnom Penh, Vientiane unnumbered. Tokyo pass CINCFE. Department pass Defense. Following are translations of texts of Cambodian and Laotian proposals submitted at fifteenth restricted Indochina meeting Friday, June 18:
“The representatives of the Cambodian and Viet Minh commands will meet on the spot, that is to say in Cambodia, with the mission:
- “1. Of studying the methods of evacuation of foreign forces, regular and irregular.
- “2. Of studying the methods of liberation or exchange of prisoners of war and civil internees.
- “3. To submit, in the shortest possible time, their recommendations to the decision of the conference.”
“Toward a cessation of hostilities in Laos:
- “1. The representatives of the two commands will meet as soon as possible at Geneva and contacts will be established immediately on the spot.
- “2. The representatives of the two commands will study the problems relative to the withdrawal of Viet Minh forces from Laotian territory and of those of the French Union to their peacetime bases.
- “3. They will submit their recommendations to the conference as soon as possible.”