The Ambassador in Mexico ( O’Dwyer ) to the Secretary of State
815. From Barringer. Re Deptel 743, Dec 17.1 Emb and del agreed current reports aviation negots prior today undesirable as entirely impossible give accurate complete picture any one time owing complex fluid nature conversations. Talks raised ministerial levels at noon after virtual breakdown on level Dir Civil Aviation. Min Communications Garcia Lopez partially admitting importance US concessions outlined three serious differences remaining:
- Nonstop Los Angeles–Mex.
- Mex desire exclusive San Antonio.
- US request New York–New Orleans–Mex.
Latter solved by US offer drop back permanently Atlanta-Birmingham. During further mtgs Lopez yesterday withdrew request San Antonio but insisted on nonstop exclusive LA–Mex pleading US must appreciate and concede due serious difficult domestic Mex polit problem [Page 1510] involved. Martin Perez disclosed this decision followed three hour mtg with Aleman.
US del gave negative answer today stating own domestic and intl aviation problems insurmountable. Moreover, US now has similar most difficult problems in possibility of continuing indefinitely de facto monopoly extant in current exchange of permit outside over-all agreement. Lopez today suggested USDel return Wash and persuade US Govt accept final Mex proposal.
In order put ball in Mex court and give Stowe another opportunity see Aleman, USDel kept door open by suggesting Mex Govt reconsider. Lopez agreed another mtg tomorrow.
Follows routed scheds tentatively agreed. All with nonstop exception US route Nr. 1.
- US routes:
- Los Angeles–La Paz–Mex City.
- Wash–Dallas–San Antonio–Mex City.
- Houston–Brownsville–Tampico–Mex City–Tapachula and beyond.
- Wash-Atlanta and/or Birmingham–Mex City.
- Miami–Havana–Merida and beyond.
- Mex routes:
- Mex City–Guadalajara–Mazatlan–Hermosillo–Mexicali–Los Angeles.
- Hermosillo–Nogales, Arizona.
- Chihuahua–Cananea–Nogales, Arizona.
- Casas Grandes–El Paso.
- Torreon–Monterrey–Laredo, Texas–San Antonio.
- Mex City–Monterrey–Laredo, Texas–San Antonio.
- Mex City–New Orleans.
- Mex City–Miami and beyond.
Dept will note above routes within instrs as amended Deptel 734, Dec 142 except Nrs. 2, 3 and 8 previously cleared with CAB by Chairman Nyrop. [Barringer.]