740.0011 E. W./6–1445
The Acting Secretary of
State to the President
Memorandum for the President
Subject: Comments on Prime Minister Churchill’s Suggested Topics for Discussion at the Next Meeting of the Heads of Government
With my memorandum of May 301 submitting Prime Minister Churchill’s suggested list of subjects for discussion for the next meeting of the heads of government I offered to send you the Department’s comments thereon. A memorandum commenting upon the topics is now attached.
While in general the subject matter covered by Mr. Churchill is satisfactory and deals with a number of problems requiring urgent clarification, the form of presentation, I feel, is unfortunate: Mr. Churchill’s list is so drawn as to give the appearance largely of a bill of complaints against the Soviet Government, which seems hardly the proper approach to the forthcoming meeting. Presumably he would wish to reword his list of subjects prior to any communication of it to Marshal Stalin. Furthermore, several of the problems mentioned by Mr. Churchill seem to be on the way to settlement and may well be solved before your meeting.
I am having prepared in the Department:
- A suggested list of questions which you may wish to bring up for discussion, together with pertinent memoranda. These will include the two points raised in your memoranda of July [June] 92 concerning procedure to facilitate interchange of views on the terms of the European Peace Settlements and the Twenty-five Year Treaty for the demilitarization of Germany.
- A full set of detailed memoranda on policy with regard to the subjects suggested by the British Prime Minister;
- A complete set of memoranda covering various policy questions which conceivably may be raised by Marshal Stalin or may arise in the course of discussion, and
- A full collection of pertinent maps.
- Document No. 145.↩
- Document No. 150.↩
- Signed at London, September 12, 1944. For text, see Treaties and Other International Acts Series No. 3071; United States Treaties and Other International Agreements, vol. 5, pt. 2, p. 2078; Foreign Relations, The Conferences at Malta and Yalta, 1945, p. 118.↩
- i. e., May 8, 1945. See Executive Agreement Series No. 502; 59 Stat. (2) 1857.↩
- See vol. ii, document No. 1417, section vii .↩
- See vol. ii, document No. 1417, section v .↩
- Text in Department of State Bulletin, vol. ix, p. 308.↩
- See document No. 285, footnote 5.↩
- League of Nations Treaty Series, vol. clxxiii, p. 213.↩