740.00119 E. W./5–2945
The Acting Secretary of
State to the President
Memorandum for the President
Subject: Suggested British List of Subjects To Be Discussed at Next Meeting of the Heads of Government.
I have been informed by the British Embassy1 that in his telegram No. 40 to you,2 Prime Minister Churchill stated that the British Government was drawing up, in accordance with your suggestion, a suggested list of subjects for discussion at the next meeting of the Heads of Government. The British Embassy enclosed such a list of suggested topics for discussion and I attach a copy hereto.
If you so desire, I shall be glad to prepare a memorandum containing our comments with regard to the British list.3
- See document No. 144.↩
- Document No. 3.↩
- Grew handed the enclosure to this memorandum, and presumably the memorandum itself, to Truman on the morning of May 31, and inquired whether Truman wished the Department of State to prepare studies on the various points listed. Grew’s memorandum of the conversation (file No. 890d.01/5–3145) states: “The President expressed gratification at receiving this proposed agenda and said that not only would he be glad to have studies on the points proposed by trie British, but that he wanted to be very thoroughly briefed on all matters which we ourselves might wish to have brought up at the meeting, together with an indication of what points we should stand out for and upon what points we could compromise or yield. I said to the President that I would have such studies prepared at once.” See documents Nos. 152 and 177.↩
- The text received from the British Embassy (see document No. 144) and the text which Davies received from Eden (see document No. 34) both read “all three Allied Governments”.↩
- As received from the British Embassy and as transmitted to Truman. The text Davies received from Eden (see document No. 34) reads “Modifications”.↩
- League of Nations Treaty Series, vol. clxxiii, p. 213.↩
- As received from the British Embassy and as transmitted to Truman. The text Davies received from Eden reads “regime”.↩
- See vol. ii, document No. 1417, section v .↩