Directive by the Combined Chiefs of Staff 1
Enclosure to C.C.S. 284/3/D
Directive Covering Responsibility and Procedure for Planning, Coordination and Execution of Deception Measures Against Japan
1. a. Planning
- Responsibility for the formulation for the approval of the Combined Chiefs of Staff of over-all deception plans with respect [Page 416] to the war against Japan rests with the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- For the discussion of this paper at the 111th Meeting of the Combined Chief: of Staff, August 18, 1943, see post, p. 884.
- Planning of deception measures by the various theater commanders including South East Asia must be within the framework of the over-all deception plans referred to in subpara (1) above. Responsibility for such planning rests with theater commanders subject to review and approval by appropriate Chiefs of Staff.
- Deception plans for combined United States-British operations will be submitted to the Combined Chiefs of Staff for approval.
- All deception plans prepared within a theater will indicate the parts of the plan which are to be undertaken outside the theater of origin.
- Coordination in the planning of deception measures is the responsibility of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Coordination for the execution of approved deception measures outside theaters of origin is the responsibility of Joint Security Control.
- Joint Security Control will also provide for continuity of deception during those periods when no deception plans relating to specific operations are in effect.
- The coordination of implementation of general over-all deception plans approved by the Combined Chiefs of Staff is the responsibility of the U.S. Joint Security Control.
- The implementation of approved deception measures within any theater of operations is a responsibility of the theater commander.
- U.S. Joint Security Control will provide for the implementation of such features of approved deception measures as require implementation outside the theater of origin of the plan.
- The London Controlling Section for the British Chiefs of Staff will by arrangement with U.S. Security Control provide for the implementation of such features of approved deception measures as require execution from London.
- Direct communication between theaters for the purpose of implementation of approved plans is authorized. U.S. Joint Security Control in Washington and the London Controlling Section will be furnished information copies of such communications when they contain matters of material interest to them.
- Close liaison will be maintained between all theaters engaged in the war against Japan.
- Circulated under cover of the following note by the Secretaries of the Combined Chiefs of Staff (C.C.S. 284/3/D), August 6, 1943: “The enclosure which in a directive pertaining to the above subject [deception measures against Japan was approved by the Combined Chiefs of Staff at their 105th Meeting, 6 August 1943.”↩