823.30/106: Telegram
The Chargé in Peru (Mayer) to the Secretary of State
[Received 4:18 p.m.]
186. Department’s 103, September 3, 6 p.m. Discussed Grow’s case with Minister of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday in order that the authorities here would not feel we had lost interest in the matter.
I asked Minister of Foreign Affairs what were charges against Grow. He said Grow had gone in a plane with two bombs which he had admitted intended to use in the neighborhood of Arequipa to demoralize revolutionary forces. The Minister stated that he had no belief that Grow intended to bomb an unprotected city.
I asked the Minister what disposition had been made of the officer in the other plane and the mechanics whom I felt must be in the same position as Grow since they were part of the expedition. The Minister gave me to understand that they were at liberty. I then said I could not see why there should be any discrimination between Grow and the other members of the expedition. I likewise reminded the Minister [Page 745] of the fact that Grow had only obeyed orders of his supreme chief, ex-President Leguia, and therefore Grow is in exactly the same position as any Peruvian officer, his being a foreigner having nothing to do with the case from the Peruvian legal point of view. In line with the penultimate sentence in the third paragraph of Department’s 103 I added that in my opinion the only authorities who had any complaint against Grow were the American naval authorities and myself who did not wish him to participate in civil strife.
The Minister had no rejoinder to the above and gave me to understand that Grow’s airplane expedition could not really be held against him. Minister of Foreign Affairs then stated that there are further accusations against Grow in connection with commissions for governments here which is the serious matter with respect to which they wish to detain Grow. I have urged that if such is the case Grow be brought to Lima in the immediate future and the charges produced so that his case might be dealt with expeditiously. There is indication he may arrive from Arequipa today.
Meanwhile I have talked with Blaisdell, see my 155, August 26, 11 p.m., who is in Lima and who reported that Grow is being very well treated and in excellent spirits, having been permitted to visit him daily. I should add that the authorities here have been very courteous with regard to despatch of medicines, clothing, etc., to Grow.
I have kept in constant touch with the Chief of the Naval Mission in regard to Grow’s case.
I expect to see Minister of Foreign Affairs regarding Sutton today when I shall avail myself of Department’s instruction in its last paragraph of its 103 both as regards Grow and Sutton.
Sutton’s chief engineer, who was arrested, was released last evening when he called on me to state that Mrs. Sutton had been permitted to see her husband and was allowed to send him food, clothing, etc., and had recovered her luggage. I shall ask the Minister for Foreign Affairs exactly what are the charges against Sutton and urge that the time has come to give me permission, to communicate with him through a representative and to suggest the desirability of releasing him on bail or under some other guarantee. I had same suggestion in mind with regard to Grow if and when he is brought here.
A proscribed list of some 129 names has been made up by the authorities which it is expected will be published shortly. Sutton is the only American on list. This list is in connection with the tribunal of national redress (see my 182 [181], September 1, 5 p.m.9); its members have just been announced in the morning press.
- Not printed.↩