The Minister in Guatemala ( McMillin ) to the Secretary of State
[Received April 2—7:40 p.m.]
56. Legations 54 March 30, 10 a.m. Unionist leaders today informed the Spanish Minister who is dean of the diplomatic corps that since signing of compact on March 27th reported my telegram number 52, March 29, 3 p.m. many infractions on the part of the President had been reported to them from all parts of the country and that they were unable any longer to control the situation and prevent an armed revolution unless the President should resign at once and leave the country. They state that should he refuse to resign he will be impeached at the next meeting of the Assembly on April 5th and that as they now have a large majority in the Chamber of Deputies the result is certain. They requested that the diplomatic corps present this situation to the President and endeavor to convince him that the wisest policy both for his personal welfare and for the welfare of his country would be for him to resign immediately and leave the country with complete guarantees for his life and property. The dean informed them that such a request could not be entertained or complied with on the part of the [Page 738] diplomatic corps. Afterwards the Unionist leaders decided that their wisest course would be to send a commission to confer directly with the President and they announced their intention of seeking an interview with the President this evening or tomorrow. Should he refuse to resign I doubt whether he will allow himself to be impeached without resistance by force.