File No. 861.00/2714

The Consul at Vladivostok ( Caldwell ) to the Secretary of State

[Telegram]

147. Following is summary translation of telegram from commander of Czech troops dated Chelyabinsk, 12th:

Our situation on Volga is critical. Kazan just fell enabling enemy to operate on Kama. Simbirsk is being evacuated which endangers [Page 384] Samara and Volga front. Our troops, wearied by three months’ uninterrupted fighting, tire incredibly fast, and transfer of troops from east will only delay catastrophe temporarily. It is impossible to continue to operate without immediate assistance of strong Allied force. Demand from Allies immediate and categorical reply following questions, if our common cause is dear to them: (1) Is it their intention to participate in any way in operations supporting us on Volga front; (2) if so do they intend to start at once an extraordinary transfer of troops and in what numbers? Failure to render immediate assistance will prevent us from clearing further than Urals. There is small hope of aid from Russian army in near future. There is no time for consideration and conference. Telegraph immediately answer of Allies. Major General Syrovy.

Caldwell