File No. 763.72/4589a
The Secretary of State to the Ambassador in Russia ( Francis)
Washington, May 11, 1917.
1396. Following are the members of the commission to Russia:
- Elihu Root, of New York, ex-Secretary of State and of War, and former Senator from New York;
- Charles R. Crane, of Chicago, retired manufacturer now in Russia;
- John R. Mott, general secretary of the international committee of Young Men’s Christian Associations;
- Cyrus McCormick, president of the International Harvester Co.:
- Samuel R. Bertron, a prominent banker of New York;
- James Duncan, second vice president of the American Federation of Labor;
- Charles Edward Russell, journalist and author and authority on socialistic matters;
- Maj. Gen. Hugh L. Scott, chief of staff of the United States Army;
- Rear Adm. James H. Glennon, the American Navy’s foremost ordnance expert.
Further details and personnel of staff of commission will be sent to you later with time of departure and arrival in Petrograd. Announcement of personnel is being published here.