The Japanese Minister to Acting Secretary of State Adee.

No. 39.]

Sir: Under instructions from H. I. M. minister for foreign affairs, I have the honor to inform the United States Government, as one of the governments which signified adhesion to the Geneva convention of 1864, of a case of the most flagrant violation of the said convention committed by the Imperial Russian troops in Manchuria, in wantonly attacking, on the 18th of May last, the defenseless and nonresisting personnel of a military field hospital of the Imperial Japanese army, which was at “Ee-chia-wo-pong,” in the province of Feng-tien and in wounding and killing the persons who are entitled to protection and respect by the belligerents.

The details of the incident are given in the annex as translated from the various reports received by the Imperial Government from their army in Manchuria.

Besides bringing the above to the notice of your government, I am further instructed to request their good offices in instructing the United States ambassador at St. Petersburg to call serious attention of the Russian Government to this grave violation of the stipulations of the Red Cross convention by their troops in Manchuria.

Accept, etc.,

K. Takahira.

résumé of the official reports on the attack of the japanese military field hospital at “ee-chia-wo-pong,” in the province of feng-tien, by a body of the russian cavalry, on may 18, 1905.

About 10.40 a.m. of the 18th sound of rifle fire was heard in the westerly direction of the hospital. Seeing the approach of danger, the superintendent of the hospital immediately ordered its withdrawal, and at about 11.10 a.m. four hospital wagons and the majority of the hospital corps sought refuge in the easterly direction. Surgeon Uyehara, superintendent of the hospital, together with Doctors Inouye and Fukuyama, military hospital nurses, and soldiers charged with the transportation of the hospital equipments, stores, and other materials commenced retreat. Thereupon a body of the enemy’s cavalry, about 100 strong, surrounded “Ee-chia-wo-pong” and fiercely fired upon the withdrawing party. The hospital superintendent and party, being pursued by the enemy, retreated toward the village in the easterly direction. The enemy having already approached within the distance of only 10 meters, the superintendent and Doctor Inouye, who were mounted, narrowly escaped, but Doctor Fukuyama and military hospital nurse Sakai fell victims of the pursuers.

Military hospital nurse Kobayashi, who escaped the calamity by hiding himself in a hollow in the ground found near by and who personally witnessed the said incident, made the following statement concerning the attack of the Russian troops upon Doctor Fukuyama and military hospital nurse Sakai:

Doctor Fukuyama was overtaken by the enemy. Thereupon the doctor, as if he had made up his mind for the worst, sat down on the ground and pointed to his arm badge of neutrality. In spite of this the enemy cut the doctor down from the head with sword and felled him to the ground.

The military nurse Sakai, being likewise surrounded by the enemy, pointed to his arm badge of neutrality. Thereupon the enemy made gestures as if to indicate that they permitted him to proceed forward, and watching the moment of unguardedness on the part of the nurse, they gave a blow on the head with sword and the victim fell down upon the ground. He saw these two men fall, but could not say whether they were dead or not. He saw, further, that several of the soldiers, charged with commissariat duty of the hospital corps, were attacked in the same way, but could not give detailed accounts.

[Page 619]

According to the statements of the natives, the Russians cut off the head and upper limbs of Doctor Fukuyama and threw his body in a wagon and carried it away. The cap and the girdle cloth were found on the spot where the attack took place, the former being badly damaged on the top.

Summing up the general results of the attack, the enemy attacked our defenseless and nonresisting hospital corps, seized or burned the greater portion of the hospital equipment, stores, and other materials, and out of 6 officers and 45 men severely wounded 2, killed 5 (bodies recovered, showing sword cut from the head), and made the fate of 41, including Doctor Fukuyama, unknown.

The enemy, while escorting to their headquarters, robbed money, watches, and other treasures of our men and took away their Red Cross arm badges.