89. Memorandum From the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs (Clark) to Secretary of State Haig1
- Strategy for Building Democracy in Communist and Non-Communist Countries
The President has reviewed the proposal in your memorandum of March 8 for an “Institute for Democracy.” The proposal has many attractive features but before endorsing the proposal, he would like more specific information on several aspects:
- How the institute could avoid being seen as an agency of the U.S. government, while acting in a complementary way to government policies.
- How the institute would treat non-democratic countries which are friendly to the United States.
- The outlines of the organization of the institute: physical facilities required, composition of faculty, choice of students, decision-making authority to disburse funds to groups in other countries.
FOR THE PRESIDENT: