249. Memorandum From the Executive Secretary of the Department of State (Tarnoff) to the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs (Brzezinski)1
- U.S. Soviet Relations and Afghanistan
In accordance with the NSC request, I attach the Department’s papers on U.S. Soviet relations and Afghanistan for Wednesday’s2 NSC meeting.
Peter Tarnoff 3
Tab 1—Afghanistan: Steps in the Framework of U.S. Soviet Relations.4
Tab 2—Possible U.S. Actions.
Tab 3—Possible Soviet Reactions.[Page 720]
- Source: Department of State, Office of the Secretariat Staff, Special Adviser to the Secretary (S/MS) on Soviet Affairs Marshall Shulman—Jan 21, 77–Jan 19, 81, Lot 81D109, Box 17, Afghan-US Steps. Secret; Nodis. Cleared by Paul Kreisberg (S/P), Jerome Kahan (PM), and McCall.↩
- January 2, 1980.↩
- Bremer signed for Tarnoff above Tarnoff’s typed signature.↩
- Tabs 1 and 3 are attached but not printed.↩
- Secret; Sensitive; Nodis.↩