117. Telegram From the Department of State to the Embassy in the Soviet Union1
135977. Subject: Technical Penetration Protest. Ref: Moscow 11859.2
1. The Secretary May 26 orally protested penetration to Gromyko,3 who said he had no information but would look into the matter. We plan to hold off on a formal protest until you have developed information on the scale of the penetration.
2. Ambassador Toon concurs.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Foreign Policy File, P890106–1033. Secret; Immediate; Nodis. Drafted by McCall; cleared by Shulman, Luers, Toon, Richard Castrodale (S/S), and Victor Dikeos (A/SY); approved by Christopher.↩
- Telegram 11859 from Moscow, May 26, is in the National Archives, RG 59, Central Foreign Policy File, P890106–1035.↩
- No record of the protest was found.↩