Washington, February 1, 1969, 0025Z.
- ICAO Meeting on ME Aviation Incidents
- State 13227, Beirut 965
- ICAO Council Jan 31 adjourned sine die its extraordinary session called to consider Lebanese complaint re Dec 28 Israeli attack on Beirut airport. Council Pres Binaghi, having cleared his statement in advance with Council members, reported efforts to agree on course of action had not succeeded and concluded that adjournment sine die appeared be only course commanding unanimous support. (We understand this outcome was also acceptable to Israeli reps in Montreal.)
- Adjournment came after Canadians made unsuccessful, last-ditch effort to salvage some basis for Council action. Although there were no objections to adjournment, USG-along with many other members-regrets Council’s inability to act on this [Page 2] occasion in positive manner on matter affecting entire international aviation community.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Files 1967-69, POL 27 ARAB-ISR. Limited Official Use. Repeated to Montreal and USUN. Drafted by Carolan on January 31; cleared in NEA, E, and L; and approved by Brown.↩
- Embassies Beirut and Tel AVIV were informed that ICAO President Binaghi announced that the ICAO Council had adjourned its extraordinary session to discuss the Beirut airport raid without reaching agreement on a course of action.↩