Rome, September 1, 1969, 0830Z.
- TWA Hijacking
- State 1474911; Rome 5510; Beirut 7217
- Deputy DirGen Political Affairs FonOff tells US that in telephone conversation morning Sept 1, Italian Charge Damascus had reported that Syrians were again strongly suggesting exchange of two Israeli men for Syrian pilots in Israeli hands.
- FonOff official again instructed Charge to make clear to Syrians that there was virtually no possibility Israel would agree to such exchange.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Files 1967-69, AV 12 US. Secret; Priority; Exdis. Repeated to Tel Aviv.↩
- The Italian Foreign Office noted that the Syrians were again suggesting the swap of the Israeli passengers of TWA Flight 840 for imprisoned Syrian pilots; Embassy Rome commented that there was virtually no chance the Israelis would agree to this scheme.↩