145. Memorandum by the Assistant to the President (Haldeman)1
- The Secretary of State
- The Secretary of Defense
- The Attorney General
- Director of Central Intelligence
- Legislative Coordination in National Security Affairs
The President has reestablished the White House Working Group and directed that this Group be responsible for supervision of Administration policy on legislative matters involving national security affairs.
The White House Working Group will carry out its responsibilities through the establishment of a Legislative Interdepartmental Group composed of representatives of the Secretary of State, the Attorney General, the Secretary of Defense, the Director of Central Intelligence, the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs and Counselor to the President for Congressional Relations.[Page 304]
The LIG will meet fortnightly or more often as required.
Please designate your representative for the first meeting of the LIG by Tuesday, April 20. A meeting will be scheduled in the very near future.2
- Source: National Security Council, Secretariat, Directives, 1971, Directive #89. No classification marking.↩
- Minutes or summaries of conclusions for 10 LIG meetings during 1971 and 8 meetings during 1972 are in the Library of Congress, Manuscript Division, Kissinger Papers, Boxes CL 301–302, Legislative Interdepartmental Group.↩