69. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the Station in the Congo1
Dir 24445 (Out 71749). Ref Leop 0783 (In 42022).2
1. Whereas policy still undergoing review, you are authorized continue [cryptonym not declassified] op until further notice.
2. We believe of utmost importance to reassure and support moderate elements in this interim period. HQS is seeking specific authority in this direction and will advise soonest.
End of message.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency Files, Job 78–00435R, DDO/ISS Files, Box 1, Folder 6, [cryptonym not declassified] Ops. Secret; Rybat;[cryptonym not declassified]; Priority. Drafted and authenticated by Fields (AC/AF) and released by DD/P.↩
- [text not declassified] unhappy with ODYOKE position in the United Nations and Leopoldville anticipates a flood of requests for aid. Unless advised to the contrary, Leopoldville will continue [text not declassified] plan. [Footnote in the original.] Telegram 783 from Leopoldville to CIA, February 7, reported that the military situation there was developing rapidly and that the Station suspected that the [text not declassified] were trying to move fast for a quick victory before a U.N. decision was taken to disarm the Congolese National Army. (Central Intelligence Agency Files, Job 78–00435R, DDO/ISS Files, Box 1, Folder 6, [cryptonym not declassified] Ops)↩