420. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the Station in the Congo1
Dir 29959. 1. On 2 July KUBARK presented foll proposal to ODACID: A) To provide limited financial support to certain political figures who are now or may soon again be in positions power. Purpose twofold: 1) To maintain existing and develop new relationships with persons of varying political tendencies who are or will be useful as sources info or covert channels influence. 2) Attempt influence internal balance power. [Godley] to be consulted in each case. (Sample listing persons with whom relations might be established included [2½ lines [Page 609] not declassified]. Basis proposal is that such individuals will continue play important roles in Congo politics. Financial support during period flux would ensure continued access to them, while refusal accede requests might hinder establishment productive relationships in future.
B). Transmitted text Leop 9499, (In 91255) 16 June 652 with recommendation that [Identity 2] be supported because of high probability he will continue be a most important factor in Congo and because past cooperation indicates he will continue serve as useful and effective channel influence.
C). Recognition security risks with statement of belief funding can be handled securely.3
D). Statement of firm belief that unless some form of positive program such as IA above is sustained, ODYOKE options will be severely restricted with each change in Congo power structure. Request for ODACID concurrence or alternative recommendations for assuring ODYOKE capability covertly influence most conceivable power combinations in Congo.
2. In discussions 15 July, ODACID officers expressed concern implied concept of “retainer” for various assets and suggested could possibly accept, on case by case basis, alternative approach of support based on “services rendered.” That is, action program for each individual in question. With regard [Identity 7] ODACID deferred to [Godley] but suggested “services rendered concept should be applied specifically to [Identity 7].”
3. In formal reply 20 July, ODACID stated A) prepared consider specific proposals designed attain specific objectives. Requested each proposal set forth objective, amount involved, and other particulars which would help ODACID excercise valid judgement. Also requested [Godley] views on each proposal.
B. With regard [Identity 7] took note [Godley] comments and not prepared concur in KUBARK proposal without further information regarding courses action which [Identity 7] might be urged support.[Page 610]
4. Above is condensed quotes formal correspondence and may be shown [Godley] as basis further discussions.
End of message.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency Files, Job 78–00435R, DDO/ISS Files, Box 2, Folder 11, [cryptonym not declassified] Operations. Secret; Rybat; [cryptonym not declassified]. Drafted by [name not declassified] authenticated by [text not declassified], and released by Fields (C/AF).↩
- Not found.↩
- CIA telegram 30414 to Leopoldville, July 23, agreed with the Station that this was the most opportune time to place assets in key positions within the Congolese political structure, but pointed out that they must maintain sufficient flexibility to be able to work with any combination of forces which might develop in the Congo. If one individual or grouping were to fall from power, they must still have assets in positions of influence. Thus, the Agency preferred not to put all its money on [name not declassified] (or any other single individual or power group), thereby becoming so dependent on him that without him it could not implement necessary programs. (Central Intelligence Agency Files, Job 78–00435R, Box 2, Folder 11, [cryptonym not declassified] Operations)↩