27. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the Station in the Congo1
Dir 02521 (Out 73573). From Ascham and Tweedy. Re: Leop 0002 (In 17384).2[Page 39]
1. Appreciate excellent reporting your reference [less than 1 line not declassified]. We wish give every possible support in eliminating Lumumba from any possibility resuming governmental position or if he fails in Leop, setting himself in Stanleyville or elsewhere.3
2. While fully aware of nefarious plotting Ghana, Guinea, UAR, to restore Lumumba, greatly disturbed at reference to Morocco and particularly Tunisia as members of this clique. Can you suggest any action we can propose to ODACID or take otherwise to help detach them from Lumumba camp?
3. Disturbed at possibility that [Mobutu] might lose control of his forces due possible higher pay being offered sources hostile to us as suggested para 4 your reference. [2 lines not declassified]
4. Agree position outlined last sentence reference which we assume is fully endorsed by Ambassador.
5. At your discretion, share this message with Ambassador.
End of message.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency Files, Job 79–00149A, DDO/IMS Files, Box 23, Folder 1, African Division, Senate Select Committee, Volume II. Secret; Rybat; [cryptonym not declassified]; Operational Immediate. Drafted and released by Dulles.↩
- [text not declassified] reported on 23 September that Pierre Mulele, Gabriel Yumbu, and Antoine Gizenga of the PSA were mounting a coup against Mobutu and the Council of Commissioners. [Footnote in the original.] In telegram 0002 from Leopoldville to CIA, September 23, the Station reported that upon learning of a coup plot against Mobutu and the Council of Commissioners, the Chief of Station immediately informed Mobutu and had the Embassy warn Kasavubu. Kasavubu did not act upon the warning, but Mobutu had two of the plotters arrested. The Embassy and Station urged Mobutu and Kasavubu to take action against Lumumba and the other plotters, [text not declassified]. (Ibid., Job 78-00435R, Box 1, folder 3)↩
- This sentence is quoted in Interim Report, pp. 24, 62.↩