241. Memorandum From the Acting Chief of the Africa Division, Directorate of Plans, Central Intelligence Agency (Waller) to the Deputy Director for Plans, Central Intelligence Agency (Helms)1
- [cryptonym not declassified] Project Renewal
- Request for Extension (1 July–31 December 1964)
1. Recent political events in the Congo, culminating in the formation of a government led by Moise Tshombe, have rendered invalid the content of the [cryptonym not declassified] Project Outline renewal submitted for FY 1965. The policy guidelines under which the Project has operated have also been overtaken by events.
2. The members of the [cryptonym not declassified] group remain, however, important factors in Congolese political affairs. It would be highly inadvisable entirely to cut them off, operationally or financially, during this interim. Were we to do so we would be subject to a charge of “fair weather” expediency and the re-establishment of close relationship at a later date would be severely hampered.
3. When the new lines of political party formation and leadership have substantially clarified and crystallized, the Division will draft a new, if only interim, project outline. A more or less “permanent” type project outline may have to await the outcome of the general elections scheduled for early 1965.[Page 348]
4. In the meantime, it is requested that approval be given to providing limited support to selected Congolese political figures on an individual basis (see attachment).2 The Department of State has endorsed such action on an ad hoc basis. As has been customary in the past, there will continue to be discussion with the Ambassador prior to any substantive disbursement.
5. This funding is intended for purposes both of short-term FI and CA exploitation of the politicians concerned and to preserve operational relationships for possible more important employment in the event these assets again return to positions of concrete political power. Any CA exploitation will be coordinated with the Department of State and the Ambassador.
6. These interim relationships will be maintained until new policy guidances have been provided by the Department of State in the light of the changed terms of political reference, and CIA has been able to redirect its operations in consonance with these guidances.
7. The objective of this project is quite separate from project [cryptonym not declassified] which is designed to cope with the insurgency situation now engulfing much of the Congo. [cryptonym not declassified] is a short-range counter-insurgency effort providing for support to tribal leaders to enable them to strengthen their defense against the various active guerrilla movements which are all being supported to some extent by the Chicoms. The [cryptonym not declassified] project, on the other hand, is intended to give KUBARK political capability at the national level. While no political action program can be undertaken until the insurgency situation is settled, it is considered very important to maintain access during this period to members of the [cryptonym not declassified] group and other former political leaders, per attachment, who may be expected to play influential roles again when normal political life is resumed in Leopoldville.
8. It is recommended that Africa Division be authorized to expend up to [dollar amount not declassified] of the [dollar amount not declassified] earmarked for [cryptonym not declassified] in the African Division Operational Program for FY 1965. This authority would be for the first six months of FY 1965. This is an arbitrary figure which should cover most contingencies which might arise during this period.3