155. Memorandum From the Chief of the Africa Division, Directorate of Plans, Central Intelligence Agency (Fields) to the Deputy Director for Plans, Central Intelligence Agency (Helms)1
- Project [cryptonym not declassified]
1. Pursuant to policy guidance from the Special Group, the [cryptonym not declassified] program has been operative since November[Page 217]
1961. There was an initial Special Group authorization for [dollar amount not declassified]. A progress and status report made in April 1963 requested authority to continue certain covert actions at a cost of [dollar amount not declassified] for FY 1964. This authority was approved by the Special Group.
2. The [cryptonym not declassified] program has been, in effect, the covert action program to maintain and support the Adoula government in the Congo in implementation of U.S. policy directives. The judicious use of covertly provided funds has kept opposition groups off-balance and uncoordinated to the extent that the incumbent moderate government has survived. This government is now able to focus for the first time on the establishment of a national political party initially to provide an organizational base for the projected national elections next spring. The Station has been urging the incumbent government for sometime to systematize their political activities.
3. The matter at issue is the extent of covert support to the formation of this national political party. The Leopoldville Station has submitted a budget of [dollar amount not declassified] for this purpose. This request exceeds the current FY 1964 (within ceiling) operational program funds ear-marked for [cryptonym not declassified] activities by [dollar amount not declassified]. In anticipation of exceptional demands, [dollar amount not declassified] was requested over ceiling for [cryptonym not declassified] in the FY 1964 Africa Division Operational Program and on 4 October 1963 a memorandum was addressed to the DDP from Chief, Africa Division alerting him to the possibility of such a request for additional funds.2
4. The request for a budget of [dollar amount not declassified] was arrived at after exhaustive discussions with responsible members of the Adoula government and reflects a detailed analysis of budget proposals. The Ambassador has participated in these discussions and urges favorable consideration of this budget as a major factor in providing continued support and confidence of the Adoula or [less than 1 line not declassified]. The Chief of the Office of Central African Affairs, Mr. G. M. Godley, and the Chief of the responsible African Branch also participated in these discussions in Leopoldville.
Chief, Africa Division