78. Telegram From the Embassy in Cuba to the Department of State1
18. Briefly these are facts. Consul Wollam believes everybody well. Conditions for release are:
- No more shipment of arms.
- Complete assurance that naval base will not be used for supplying arms and munitions.
- An observer to assure compliance with MDAP agreement.
Wollam states that these people are fanatics with blind spots and determined. Wollam says he is sure there are Communists in the group but mixed up in thinking.
- Source: Department of State, Central Files, 737.00/7–358. Official Use Only; Niact.↩