About the Digital Edition
In creating this digital edition, the Office of the Historian focused on maintaining the original structure of the microfiche supplement while bringing it up to the current standards of the Foreign Relations series. The editors supplied a heading and source note for each document based on the text from the List of Documents. In those instances in which the documents also included images of attachments and covering memoranda, the editors provided headings to mark these divisions, though this was not indicated in the List of Documents. In the digital edition, the editors examined the document images and added material such as the date, time of transmission, and location to document datelines when unavailable in the List of Documents entry. Many documents in these supplements contain marginalia, which are not accounted for in the source note. Where applicable, marginalia can be viewed in the facsimile version of each page. Numerous documents are partially or completely illegible; those that were known to have had such problems during the preparation of the microfiche were stamped: “Best copy available” and the editors have indicated gaps in legibility by inserting “[illegible in the original].” All brackets, except those indicating illegible or redacted text, are in the original.
During review, the editors discovered the following problems with images in the microfiche edition and made the following corrections:
- Document 141: The first page of the document is missing in the microfiche. Editors printed the document without the first page.
- Documents 246 and 247: Documents 246 and 247, encompassing fiche sheet 16, frames 54–59, were originally numbered 247 with a handwritten annotation on both documents reading “SPLIT.” Editors split the document as indicated and supplied document numbers and headings for each.
- Document 286: The image at fiche sheet 19, frame 37, is a duplicate of fiche sheet 19, frame 36. Editors removed the image.
- Document 306: The image at fiche sheet 20, frame 68, is a duplicate of fiche sheet 20, frame 67. Editors removed the image.
- Document 355: Only 2 documents were found attached.
- Documents 492 and 494: Fiche sheet 26, frame 80, was filmed out of sequence. Editors moved the image to the correct order in fiche sheet 26, between frame 85 and frame 86.