This volume of documents on the Second Quebec Conference (1944) completes the special series of Foreign Relations volumes on the World War II conferences attended by President Roosevelt or President Truman, along with Prime Minister Churchill or Marshal Stalin, or both of the latter. Volumes previously published in this series were entitled The Conferences at Washington, 1941–1942, and Casablanca, 1943; The Conferences at Washington and Quebec, 1943; The Conferences at Cairo and Tehran, 1943; The Conferences at Malta and Yalta, 1945; and The Conference of Berlin (The Potsdam Conference), 1945.
Richardson Dougall, Deputy Director of the Historical Office, was the principal editor of the present volume. Substantial preliminary work was done by Arthur G. Kogan, Richard S. Patterson, and Irving L. Thomson. The volume was reviewed by the undersigned.
The technical editing of the volume was the responsibility of the Publishing and Reproduction Services Division, Jerome H. Perlmutter, Chief.
In order to make this volume as complete and accurate as possible, the editor supplemented the documentation and data available in the Department of State by obtaining source material and information from a number of agencies outside the Department. The Historical Office would like to express its sincere appreciation for their assistance. Particular acknowledgment is made of the extensive help received from the Historical Division of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, from the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library at Hyde Park, New York, and from the Treasury Department. Material from the manuscript collections listed in the Introduction to the volume has been included with the kind permission of the respective owners and archival authorities, and quotations from published works have been reproduced with the generous permission of the copyright owners. The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office graciously made available a number of Quebec papers which were referred to in United States documentation but which could not be located in American files. The photographs were supplied through the courtesy of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library and the United States Army Audio-Visual Agency.
Director, Historical Office
Bureau of Public Affairs