The Secretary of State to the Minister in the Dominican Republic (Scotten)
135. For Wilson. Your 157, September 5, 8 p.m.
- Article III: point third. The re-draft of the last half of the paragraph approved.
- Article V. Suppression of second half approved. In lieu thereof, however, Article III, point second, second sentence should start as follows: “The said amortization shall be computed and effected in accordance …”.
- Article VI. The Department prefers Article VI with the addition suggested by the Dominicans.
- Article VII. The Department agrees to the deletion requested by the Dominicans and would prefer to revert to the original text proposed by the Dominicans, modified to read as follows: “and these laws as well as the powers conferred by this convention upon the representative of the holders of the bonds of 1922 and 1926 shall not be modified nor their force diminished by the Dominican Government during the life of this agreement without the previous consent of both Governments.” Further in regard to Article VII please change the word “will” in the first sentence, to the word “shall”.
- Article X. The Department much prefers the wording as it stands, especially in view of your statement that the Dominicans do not insist strongly on this point.
Your 159, September 5, 8 p.m.29 Text approved with addition of phrase “with pay” after the phrase “sixty days” in the second paragraph.
Your 160, September 5, 10 p.m.30 The Department assumes that the exchange of notes regarding the floating debt will be made simultaneously with that regarding pensions. The exchange of notes regarding the floating debt should specify that actual payments are to be made (rather than mere appropriations).
Please inform us in advance when you plan to release the press communiqué, so that the Department may issue a statement at the same time.
Please telegraph clean drafts of all texts.