The Secretary of State to the Consul at Nairobi (Smith)
Department’s telegram November 29, 6 p.m. Before disseminating your cables, Commerce Department considers it desirable to ascertain answers to following questions:
- Do restrictions apply to all countries or only to non-sterling areas?
- Is permission for any American products being consistently refused?
- Should American exporters be assured that licenses for importation have been granted before shipping?
- When import licenses are obtainable do exchange permits automatically follow?
- Are Kenya and Uganda exchange controls similar to Tanganyika Government Notice No. 179  of September 3?36
- For text, see Tanganyika Territory, Gazette, Supplement No. 2, Government Notices, vol. 20 (1939), p. 241.↩