The Acting Secretary of State to the Chargé in Guatemala ( O’Donoghue )
Washington , March 17, 1936—noon.
14. Referring to the Legation’s telegram No. 21, March 10, 5 p.m.
- Endeavor to persuade the Guatemalan Government to accept wording used in first paragraph of Article X of trade agreement with Haiti10 in place of first paragraph of Article XIII. The Department believes the wording used in Haitian agreement would cause no conflict with Article 358 Section III of Guatemalan Customs Code as amended by Decree 1775 of January 25, 1936.
- The Department sees no substantial change in the Guatemalan counter-suggestion on notes 1 and 2 from the wording given in Spanish text which accompanied despatch No. 866 of January 15 and which the Department found unsatisfactory. It is suggested that you review our previous instructions on this point and in conjunction with the Commercial Attaché try to work out a satisfactory solution with the Guatemalan Government.
- Texts are being given final check preparatory to obtaining clearance. Prompt settlement of points one and two will expedite matters. Department planning to engross agreement to be forwarded to Guatemala for signature.
- Signed March 28, 1935; for text, see Executive Agreement Series No. 78, or 49 Stat. 3737.↩