The Secretary of State to the Minister in Costa Rica ( Sack )
Washington , May 28, 1936—6 p.m.
20. With reference to the Department’s instruction No. 308 of May 23.
- Trade Agreements Committee this morning approved offering to Costa Rica rate of 17½ percent ad valorem on dried, desiccated or evaporated bananas, which now pay a duty of 35 percent ad valorem under Paragraph 752.
- Reference your despatch No. 1130 of May 14. The draft letter enclosed may be given the Foreign Minister several days prior to signature of agreement instead of afterwards, as you suggest.
- The Department, having in mind paragraph 10 of your despatch above cited, leaves to your discretion the utilization of the foregoing.
- Having now met favorably every important counterproposal Costa Rica has made Department trusts that agreement may be promptly concluded.