The Secretary of State to the Minister in Egypt (Jardine)
23. Your 22, February 18, 9 a.m. Before issuing instructions with respect to the action which you should take in connection with the Egyptian decree, the Department would wish to receive the following additional information:
- Were the articles of the decree approved by the General Assembly as a police measure under the provisions of the Khedivial Decree of January 31, 1889, or as mixed legislation under the terms of the [Page 155] law of January [November?] 11, 1911? As described in your telegram the decree would appear to partake more of the nature of mixed legislation than of a police measure.
- If the two articles of the decree were approved under the terms of the law of November, 1911, on what date was such approval given?
- Please furnish by telegraph brief rèsumè of text of entire decree and a more detailed statement of nature of French, Italian and Belgian representations as well as the basis thereof. Also indicate what, if any, action has been taken by British High Commission.
- Department would also be interested in learning circumstances under which pressure to approve the decree was apparently brought by the Egyptian Government on the General Assembly of the Mixed Courts.