Sources for Foreign Relations, 1981–1989, Volume XLI
In preparing this volume, the editors made extensive use of Presidential papers and other White House records at the Reagan Library. Within the Reagan Library’s collection, Michael Guhin’s files, the National Security Council Subject File, Ralph Bledsoe’s records of the Domestic Policy Council, and a copy of the George P. Shultz Papers organized by subject were the most helpful.
The records of the Department of State were another important source. The Department’s central files contain both cable traffic as well as key memoranda. The Department’s lot files were particularly useful, especially when looking for inter-bureau memoranda regarding whaling, the ozone layer, AIDS, and population control. Two Assistant Secretaries of State for Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs, Elliott Abrams and Richard Schifter, both have voluminous lot files. The lot files for Deputy Secretaries William Clark, Kenneth Dam, and John Whitehead contained valuable documentation.
Research for this volume also involved examining records from the Department of Defense, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Vice Presidential Materials at the George H.W. Bush Library. Some material from the Agency for International Development is already declassified and available at the National Archives and Records Administration at College Park in Record Group 286. The Office of the Historian was also able to gain access to the Alexander M. Haig Papers at the Library of Congress.
Researchers will find records in Department of State lot files helpful. Lot 90D327 contains most of the records from the United Nations Third World Conference on Women in Nairobi, and Lot 92D207 has several boxes with information about the Reagan administration’s policy regarding acid rain.
Almost all of this documentation has been made available for use in the Foreign Relations series thanks to the consent of the agencies mentioned, the assistance of their staffs, and especially the cooperation and support of the National Archives and Records Administration.
In addition to the paper files cited below, a growing number of documents are available on the Internet. The Office of the Historian maintains a list of these Internet resources on its website and encourages readers to consult that site on a regular basis.[Page XVI]
Department of State
Central Foreign Policy File
- Lot Files
- Lot File 06D379; Intelligence Research Reports (IRR), 1953–1998
- Lot File 82D127; Files of the Deputy Secretary of State—William P. Clark, 1981–1982
- Lot File 82D273; Department of State, Subject Files—Human Rights Files, 1981
- Lot File 83D288; Secretariat Memorandums—Secretary Alexander Haig Correspondence, 1981–1982
- Lot File 85D105; Subject and Country Files—Law of the Sea, 1982–1983
- Lot File 85D206; :s80/78 Assistant Secretary Subject Files—Human Rights Subject Files, 1981–1984:s80/80
- Lot File 85D308; Files of the Deputy Secretary of State—Deputy Secretary Kenneth Dam Official Files, 1982–1985
- Lot File 85D353; Subject Files—Fisheries Legislation, 1972–1984
- Lot File 85D357; Law of the Sea—Third UN Conference, 1968–1983
- Lot File 86D184; Health Issues, 1977–1985
- Lot File 86D220; Assistant Secretary Subject Files—Human Rights Country Files, 1984
- Lot File 86D221; Assistant Secretary Subject Files—Human Rights Country Files, 1984
- Lot File 86D362; Chronological Files [OES], 1984–1985
- Lot File 87D37; Organization and Conference Files—Meetings/Governing Council 1984 Meetings/Governing Council, 1983–1984,
- Lot File 87D205; Human Rights Subject Files, 1985
- Lot File 87D258; Subject Files—Edward J. Derwinski, 1982–1985
- Lot File 87D326; Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Subject Files—Edward Derwinski, 1984–1985
- Lot File 87D452; Law of the Sea—Third UN Conference, 1970–1983
- Lot File 88D242; Subject Files—Human Rights, 1986
- Lot File 89D56; Subject and Chron Files, 1985–1986
- Lot File 89D136; Subject Files—Other Agency and Channel Messages and Substantive Material—World Health Organization (WHO), 1985
- Lot File 89D137; AIDS, 1984–1987
- Lot File 89D139; Correspondence of Deputy Secretary John Whitehead, 1982–1989
- Lot File 89D149; Director’s Correspondence File—Policy Planning Director, 1981–1988
- Lot File 89D169; U/S Michael Armacost CHRON and Country Files, 1979–1989;
- Lot File 89D184; Assistant Secretary Files—Elliott Abrams Subject and CHRON Files, 1981–1987
- Lot File 89D186; Subject Files—Human Rights Files, 1987
- Lot File 89D265; U/S for Political Affairs Michael Armacost Correspondence, 1969–1988
- Lot File 90D36; Other Agency and Channel Messages and Substantive Material—World Health Organization (WHO), 1986
- Lot File 90D46; Subject Files—Human Rights Files, 1988
- Lot File 90D327; :s80/78 Organization and Conference Files—Other Federal Agency :s80/80 and Channel: Nairobi World Conference for Women, 1985
- Lot File 90D438; Soviet Union, 1958–1984
- Lot File 91D356; Program Files, 1973–1988
- Lot File 92D49; Subject Files—Human Rights Files, 1981–1990
- Lot File 92D165; Subject Files—Human Rights Files, 1979–1981
- Lot File 92D207; Chemicals, Hazardous Waste, Ozone, 1981–1990
- Lot File 92D223; CSCE; Vienna Follow Up Meeting, 1986–1989
- Lot File 92D227; Chemicals, Hazardous Waste, and Ozone, 1982–1989
- Lot File 92D228; Arctic, Antarctic, and Whaling, 1975–1987
- Lot File 92D308; Subject Files—Other Agency and Channel Messages and Substantive Material: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), United Nations Disaster Relief Organization (UNDRO), United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), 1985–1988
- Lot File 92D622; Marine Law and Policy Division Subject and Country Files—Law of the Sea, 1981–1982
- Lot File 93D188; Secretary Subject and Country Files—MemCons on US-USSR Relations, 1981–1990
- Lot File 93D390; Subject Files: Population, 1961–1992
- Lot File 93D393; Country Files—Miscellaneous Population Files, 1974–1992
- Lot File 93D395; Environmental Issues, 1979–1993
- Lot File 94D4; Law of the Sea, 1981–1991
- Lot File 94D411; :s80/76 Correspondence File—Ambassador Richard Schifter CHRON :s80/80 and Subject Files, 1984–1991
- Lot File 94D419; Dumping; Arctic; Whaling; Antarctic; Scientific Research, 1976–1987
- Lot File 94D542; Pacific Fishery Issues, 1974–1988
- Vol. 8, Roger Channel Channel
- Lot Files
- National Archives and Records Administration, College Park, Maryland
- RG 218, Records of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Papers of David C. Jones
- RG 286, Records of the Agency for International Development
- USAID/Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance
Bush Presidential Library
- Vice Presidential Records, Domestic Policy Office, Garrett Files
Reagan Presidential Library
- 1985 SYS 4 INT Files
- African Affairs Directorate, NSC
- Bandow Files
- Bledsoe Files
- Boggs Files
- Carlucci Files
- Cobb Files
- Collection RR–NSC, Numbered National Security Policy Papers 1981–1989
- European and Soviet Affairs Directorate, NSC
- Executive Secretariat
- NSC: Meeting File
- National Security Council Decision Directives
- National Security Council Study Directives
- NSC: Subject File, Human Rights
- NSC Subject File, Law of the Sea
- NSC: Subject File, Population—too late to file
- NSC: Subject File, Population
- NSC: System File
- Guhin Files
- Lisa R. Jameson Files
- Robert Johnson Files
- McFarlane Files
- Meese Files
- NR002 Natural Resources Classified
- Risque Files
- Rodman Files
- Rosenberg Files
- George P. Shultz Papers
- Sweet Files
- WHORM: Subject File PR014–08
Central Intelligence Agency
- Community Management Staff [formerly known as the Intelligence Community Staff], Job 00B01635R: Committees, Task Forces, Boards, Councils Files
- National Intelligence Council, Job 83B00140R: Policy Files (1979–1982)
- National Intelligence Council, Job 87T00573R: Intelligence Publications Files (1979–1986)
- National Intelligence Council, Job 91B00776R: Policy Files, Lectures, Briefings Files (1980–1989)
- Office of Support Services (DI), Job 85T00287R: Production Case Files
- Office of Support Services (DI), Job 90T00114R: Intelligence Publications Files (1986–1987)
- Office of the Deputy Director for Intelligence, Job 93T01142R: Policy Files (1982–1987)
- Office of the Director of Central Intelligence, Job 90B01013R: Policy Files (1981–1988)
- Office of Transnational Issues [also known as the Office of Global Issues] (DI), Job 97B00624R: Appropriations and Budget Files
Library of Congress
- Papers of Alexander Haig
Washington National Records Center
- RG 330, Records of the Department of Defense
- OASD Files, FRC 330–91–0033
- Records of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs Policy
- OASD Files, FRC 330–91–0088
- Records of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs Policy
OSD Files, FRC
- Records of the Secretary of Defense
- Central Foreign Policy File
- A.C. Bayley, R. Chiengsong-Popov, A.G. Dalgleish, R.G. Downing, R.S. Tedder, R.A. Weiss, “HTLV-III Serotology Distinguishes Atypical and Endemic Kaposi’s Sarcoma in Africa,” The Lancet, Vol. 325, No. 8425, February 16, 1985, pp. 359–414.
- Brun-Vezinet F., Rouzioux C., Montagnier L., Chamaret S., Gruest J., Barre-Sinoussi F., Geroldi D., Chermann J.C., McCormick J., Mitchell S., et al., “Prevalence of Antibodies to Lymphadenopathy-Associated Retrovirus in African Patients with AIDS,” Science, 1984 Oct 26; 226(4673).
- Chicago Tribune
- Choucri, Nazli. Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Population and Conflict, Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1984.
- Christian Science Monitor
- Goldstone, J.A. “The Comparative and Historical Study of Revolutions,” Annual Review of Sociology, Vol. 8, August 1982, 187–207.
- John Paul II, Redemptor Hominis, Encyclical Letter, March 4, 1979
- New York Times
- Pittsburgh Press
- Sarasota Herald-Tribune
- The Herald-Journal (Spartanburg)
- The Wall Street Journal
- United Nations, “Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide”.
- ______. “Elements in an International Development Strategy for the 1980s. Report Prepared by the Secretariat,” 1979.
- ______. “World Population Plan of Action,” 1974.
- United States. Congressional Record—Daily Digest.
- ______. Department of State, Bulletin.
- ______. Centers for Disease Control, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports.
- ______. National Archives and Records Administration, Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States: Ronald Reagan , 1981–1988.
- ______. Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General, “Surgeon General’s Report on Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome,” 1986.
- ______. U.S. Agency for International Development, “USAID Policy Paper—Population Assistance.”
- ______. White House Press Briefing, October 15, 1982.
- U.S. News and World Report
- Washington Post
- Woods, Alan, An Investment in Global Growth: The Administrator’s Statement for the Fiscal Year 1989 Congressional Presentation, Institute for Development Anthropology document no. 1481, Washington: U.S. Agency for International Development, 1988.