201. Memorandum From the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Equal Employment Opportunity (Burroughs) to the Deputy Under Secretary of State for Management (Read)1
- Sex Class Action Complaint #2 (Women FSO’s)
By letter dated January 18 received January 25,2 the Civil Service Commission Federal Appeals Authority has submitted recommendations for the acceptance or rejection of the class complaint of discrimination filed on October 4, 1977 by Ms. Julieann McGrath on behalf of all Women Foreign Service Officers. This is the second Class Action Complaint filed on behalf of Women FSO’s.
The CSC Examiner has recommended that the Department accept only one of five allegations. (See Tab A)3
In accordance with regulations, an Agency must issue a decision within 10 days to accept, reject or modify the CSC Examiner’s recommendations. The regulations also require that such letters be signed by the Director of EEO; therefore, I have prepared a letter for your signature at Tab B.4
In addition to the above the Department must designate an Agency Representative (someone outside of the EEO Program). A memorandum has been forwarded to Mr. Hansell,5 L/M requesting that he designate Mr. Coran6 or some other member of his staff to be the Agent for this complaint.
The next step is to notify all members of the Class within 15 days after acceptance of the complaint, of their option to join or reject membership in the Class. This will be done through media like the Department Notice and telegrams to all Posts after you have signed memorandum at Tab B.
We will keep you informed on major events in this case.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Records of the Under Secretary for Management (M), 1977–1978, Box 8, Chron February 1978. No classification marking.↩
- See Document 199.↩
- Printed as Document 199.↩
- Attached but not printed.↩
- No memorandum to Herbert Hansell, Legal Adviser of the Department of State, has been found.↩
- Paul Coran.↩