7. Memorandum From Secretary of Defense Brown to President Carter1
- Arms Control for Antisatellite Systems
(S) At the August 4, 1977 meeting of the Policy Review Committee on PRM–23,2 it was decided that a separate paper on antisatellite activities and arms control should be forwarded for your review and decision. That Decision Paper is enclosed along with an Issues Paper3 which contains a more detailed discussion of the issue.
(S) Because of the importance of this issue and the widely differing views on the approach we should take in our proposal to the Soviet Union, you may wish further discussion of this subject at the NSC level prior to your decision.
- Source: Carter Library, National Security Council, Institutional Files, Box 41, Folder 3, PRM–23 . Top Secret; Talent Keyhole; Control System Only.↩
- See Document 5.↩
- Attached but not printed.↩
- Top Secret; Talent Keyhole; Comint.↩
- The term ASAT includes any physical or [less than one line not declassified] on space systems. [Footnote is in the original.]↩